I woke up Monday, February 25th, right around 5am with contractions about 10 mins a part. By around 6am they were 6 mins a part and we were just waiting for them to get 4-5 mins a part lasting 45-60 seconds. At around 9am we headed to L&D because the contractions were now 4-5 mins and lasting about 45 secs. Once we arrived I got checked and I was only 2cm dilated. The nurse said it looked like I was in early labor. We could stay there and see if I would progress, go in the jacuzzi, walk around, or we could leave and go walking and see if I could get it to be between 2-3 mins lasting 60-90 seconds. We decided to go since it seemed like there was still lot's of time.
We went walking for about 2 hours and contractions became quite irregular, but the worse was that some were one on top of the other. They became really close. So we headed back to the hospital. We got there around 2pm I think and then at around 5:30pm I was again given the option to leave because I wasn't dilating...even though I was contracting every 2-4 minutes for about 45-60 seconds. They nurse told me again that it could be very early labor and since I didn't want any drugs, there wasn't much they could do for me even though I was contracting every 2-4 minutes. We HATED the room we had gotten that time so I figured if we left we'd get a new one when we came back. So we went home... We stayed home until about 3am. I tried to get a bit of sleep until I couldn't sleep through the contractions, I got about an hour maybe. The intensity of them was really coming strong now so we decided it was time to go back to the hospital.
When we got back to the hospital and situated in our room (a new room from our previous visit) I got checked and still hadn't changed, I was only 2-3 cm. Again I was told that I could still be in early labor. But now contractions were every 2-3 minutes lasting at least 60 seconds. I tried the jacuzzi and stayed in there until I was all wrinkly...about 1.5 hours. Then I went back to the room. Soon I had been having contractions at least every 5 minutes for 24 hours and I was just TIRED. I wanted to sleep but the pain was just too much. So I decided to take some demoral to get a bit of sleep. I managed to get 2 hours of sleep and then really had to breath through my contractions.
The nurse kept saying that she thought I'd be sent home again, because I just wasn't progressing. This was starting to really upset me. At 9am, the nurse told me that the OB on call would be coming in and that he would probably be sending me home. When the OB walked in I was SO happy. It was MY doctor! He took a look at me and said how do you feel? I said horrible... I've been going through this for over 24 hours and I'm not progressing and they're saying I could be sent home and I'm just tired and in pain... So he said ok... let's get this show on the road. Checked me and said I was 3cm and then said...I'm now going to break your water so you won't be going home again without your baby! I was SO happy to hear that. So he broke my water at 9:45. By 3pm contractions were INTENSE and I had only progressed to 5cm. I was still going natural and to be honest I was just exhausted from the breathing and everything.
So by 4pm, after 35 hours, I decided I needed something or I would never make it. I got some fentinol. At first, it did good... it helped me rest between contractions, I'd get 2 minute naps. But then I was just a mess. I had stayed at 8cm for about 3 hours. When the OB came back to check he said we could be at this for another 5 hours. When he said that I nearly lost my mind. I asked him what my options were and he pretty much said, "Kim, get an epidural. It will let you rest and give you the energy you'll need to push." So Around 7pm I got an epidural. That epidural sure is everything it's cracked up to be!!! I felt FANTASTIC afterwards. So good that we even took out the camera and got some pictures...here's one of Paul and I excitedly waiting to meet Mia:
Since I still wasn't progressing they gave me oxytocin and that REALLY brought on contractions. (every 1.5 mins lasting 1 min!) But now I just felt pressure. Next thing you know BINGO 10cm...and I could PUSH. 50 minutes of pushing and Mia popped out. :) It didn't even feel like it took 50 mins.
As for Mia. She was PERFECT. No one said "It's a girl" and I remember asking a few times if it was a girl. Sure enough, she was our perfect little girl. She let out a little cry, she looked beautiful. She scored a 9 on the Apgar test, and it was just cause her feet came out blue. She opened her eyes shortly after, everything about her was so perfect. I'll never forget that moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment